Information for New Faculty
Welcome to the College of Charleston. The Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs coordinates and hosts New Faculty Orientation for incoming faculty members. New faculty members are invited to attend these sessions and are required to complete the online sessions prior to the first day of class. Provided below are links to the orientation schedule, required new employee paperwork, and other important new faculty information. Please refer the information below to begin your orientation to the College, and if you have any questions, please contact us at (843) 953-5527 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Employee Paperwork: checklist of paperwork that you must complete prior to your first day
- New Faculty Orientation: Orientation schedule and information, including links to mandatory online training and quizzes
- "Before Your First Day" Information: Human Resources Information and required forms and important links for new employees
- Faculty Information & Resources: Faculty/Administration Manual, Tenure/Promotion, Leave of Absence, Academic Services, Teaching Information, Syllabi Guidelines, etc
- Getting Around Charleston: Maps and guides to getting around campus and the city
- Parking and Free Bus Services: The College's Office of Parking Services
- General Information for Employees: Employee policies, clubs, benefits, and quicklinks
- Academic Calendar: Calendars for each academic term
New Employee and Benefits Information
All new faculty are asked to attend the New Employee and Benefits Orientation session hosted by Human Resources (tentatively on August 15, 2016). Please refer the New Faculty Orientation Schedule for details. New employee paperwork may be printed and completed in advance by visiting the New Employee Paperwork webpage. Background checks and eVerification are required as outlined below.
- Pre-Employment Paperwork: Your department/program should inform you when it is time to report to the Office of Human Resouces to sign your appointment and complete your hiring paperwork. At this time, you must present in person an acceptable form(s) of identification (e.g., both a driver's license and a social security card OR just a passport). New employee paperwork may be completed in advance by visiting the New Employee Paperwork webpage. Please complete and print each form and bring the completed packet with you to Human Resources on or before your first day of employment (160 Calhoun Street, Room B037). Additional information about retirement and healthcare benefits and eligibility is provided by Human Resources.
- Background Checks and eVerification: Your New Employee Paperwork must be completed prior to the start of your appointment. All offers of employment will be contingent upon a successful background check. Also, please note that federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. As such, the College of Charleston participates in E-Verify. The College will provide the Social Security Administration and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization through the E-Verify system. If you are not currently eligible to work in the U.S. or need assistance transferring your eligibility to the College, please contact the Center for International Education (international.cofc.edu/contact-us) and your department chair to discuss the College's requirements as soon as possible.
- Human Resources Quicklinks:
New Faculty Orientation
The Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs coordinates and hosts New Faculty Orientation for incoming faculty members in January and August each year. New faculty members are invited to attend. Please visit academicaffairs.cofc.edu/newfaculty/orientation for detailed information, schedules, and maps. If you have any questions, please contact us at (843) 953-5527 or email email@example.com.
- New Faculty Orientation Quicklinks:
- New Faculty Orientation Information and Schedule
- Online Training for Faculty: Discrimination and Harassment Prevention
- Online Training for Faculty: Phishing Prevention and Online Phishing Quiz
- Online Training for Faculty: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Information and FERPA Quiz
- Online Training for Faculty: State, College, and Faculty Policies
Online Learning Management System and Technology Orientation
During your New Faculty Orientation, Information Technology's staff will provide an overview of their services. The Registrar’s Office will also present an introduction to faculty services in MyCharleston, and Teaching, Learning and Technology (TLT) department introduces technology services that are available to faculty, such as webpages, blogs, iTunes U, OAKS (the College’s learning management system), etc. Please see below for additional training opportunities.
- OAKS Tutorials and Classes: Faculty video and text-based tutorials are available online on the OAKS blog at TLT OAKS Support. TLT offers face-to-face training sessions on the most commonly used OAKS tools. You can view the TLT Training calendar at http://tlt.eventbrite.com. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a one-on-one consultation with your instructional technologist.
- Information Technology Quicklinks:
MyCharleston - Access to the College's Online Services
Explore MyCharleston*, your secure gateway to the College's online services, including:
- Faculty tab: You can find your teaching schedule and rosters, a grade submission channel, the Student Athlete Management System, Faculty Assisting Students in Trouble (FAST), Registrar's Office forms, many quick links for faculty, including our Faculty Administration Manual and Faculty Research and Development grant information, and links associated with faculty governance.
- Library tab: On the Library tab, you'll find a catalog search tool, databases and e-journals, quick links and faculty links.
- My Accounts tab: Here you will find a channel named My Parking Services and a link to our Cougar Alert System.
- Help and Training tab: Here you will find tutorials for faculty, contact information for the IT help desk, and a form for proposing new channels for MyCharleston.
- Advising tab: Explore the Advising tab (roster faculty only) for advising and Degree Works.
- Employee tab: Reference Banner Self Service, employee forms, and other useful employee information.
*Activation of your faculty account: All applicable new employee paperwork must be completed in Human Resources and academic credentials including official transcript(s) must be submitted to Academic Affairs before the College enables your computer account and provides you access to faculty information, including your class rosters and access to OAKS, our learning management system. If you have completed these steps and do not have a Cougars username and CWID number, please contact your department for assistance. If you have already set up your new Cougars account and CWID and still do not have an "Faculty" tab and access to "OAKS" on MyCharleston, please contact your department. They will communicate to the Provost Office to ensure access can be granted.
Course Assignments and Class Rosters
Each department/program is responsible for assigning facutly to his or her course(s). Assignments can only be made AFTER all forms have been processed by Human Resources and AFTER all credentials have been approved by Academic Affairs. If you have not been assigned officially to a course and do not see the "Faculty" tab on your MyCharleston account, please check with your department/program to ensure all of your forms and credentials have been completed.
- Course Information: Log into MyCharleston* and select the "Faculty" tab or small "OAKS" icon to access faculty information including class schedules and student rosters.
*Please note: All applicable forms must be completed in Human Resources and academic credentials including official transcript(s) must be submitted to Academic Affairs before the Provost's Office enables your access to OAKS.